Sunday, 28 September 2014

The Quest for Clearer Skin: 5 Tips for Acne Sufferers

While I could have called this post '5 Tips to Get Rid of Acne', that would have been a little untruthful. In reality, I've only started applying these tips in the past few weeks, and I couldn't say that I'm acne-free by any stretch of the imagination. There is so much confusion about the causes of spotty skin, and no one seems to be able to offer a definitive solution for teens and adults troubled by acne. Clearly, I can't claim that these are fail-proof tips. What I can say is that these are the hints that I have curated from around the internet, and if you too suffer from acne then there's no harm in giving them a go to see if they are effective on your skin.

Hands Off Image and Graphic

In my experience, I've found that if there's one way to aggravate the hell out of your spots, it's to keep touching them. Unfortunately, since secondary school, I've had the horrible habit of picking my spots when I concentrate. It's a difficult habit to break, since it has developed into an automatic action, and I don't realise that I'm doing it until it's too late. It's a major problem: touching those little spots just pushes them to become bigger and redder, while spreading the bacteria to other parts of your face. With this in mind, I'm training myself to keep my fingers away from my face. If I find myself touching my face, I'll literally sit on my hands until the urge passes! Also, asking friends to let you know when your hands are on your face is a great way to help you identify when you're doing it.

Keep a Skin Diary Graphic Dreamscape Notebook from Paperchase

If you're like me and on a serious mission to get rid of your spots, then this is an essential part of the process. Since you'll undoubtably be trying out lots of different creams, medication, and tips, you are going to need to keep track of the progress (or lack thereof) that you are making. You can easily do this by starting a skin diary... 'Yay' for a great excuse to treat yourself to a cute new notebook! By writing down what you've tried on a daily basis, and also describing your spots on that particular day, you'll be able to keep track of what works for you and what doesn't. Along with this physical notebook, you should keep a visual diary too. I have started taking a photograph of my makeup-free face everyday, so I can see any improvements that have been made. For female acne sufferers, this technique is a simple way to figure out if you suffer from hormonal acne, as you will be able to see if your skin flares up at the same part of your cycle every month.

Try Toothpaste Graphic Skin Diary

This is a strange tip, yet I've also found it to be strangely effective. By dabbing your whiteheads or scabby spots with a little bit of toothpaste and leaving it to dry, you can help those spots dry up and bugger off. The best time to try this one is just before you go to bed, on a clean and dry face.

Say 'Goodbye' to Cow's Milk Graphic Alpro Almond Milk and Floral Mug Alpro Almond Milk Pouring into Mug

After years and years of downing a glass of milk a day, I have only recently began hearing that cow's milk isn't necessarily the best thing to be drinking a lot of. Some people find that consuming milk causes severe breakouts. YouTuber Melanie Murphy (who has loads of great videos on dealing with acne) is one of these people, and it's her video that brought this to my attention. While I have yet to figure out if milk is definitely one of my triggers, I have decided to cut-it out of my diet. Now when I'm craving something to drink in the morning to go with my toast, I'm sipping on almond milk instead. I'm not going to lie, I miss ice-cold glasses of good ol' cow's milk. But for now, almond milk is alright as an alternative.

And 'Hello' to Water Graphic Glass of Water

Finally, I've begun drinking at least two litres of water everyday. Rather than opting for sugary drinks during the day, I'll drink glass-upon-glass of water. I have noticed my skin getting slightly clearer since I upped my intake. I'm hoping to notice a more dramatic improvement the longer I keep this habit up.

***

So that's what I've been experimenting with recently! Adult acne is frustrating, but it's nice to know that I'm not helpless and that there are some things I can do in my quest for clearer skin. Let me know if you have any tips for dealing with acne, I'm always on the look out for advice!

8 comments:

  1. Some good tips! I've heard most of these before, but never about the cow's milk. Interesting! What I find best is to use as less products as possible on my face, and sticking to just one natural cleanser until your skin becomes 'immune' to it. I also find that drinking a lot more water helps. It really does make a difference. And great idea about the skin diary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy! I must decide on one cleanser and stick to it, because at the moment I'm using whatever I get my hands on and that's probably not great for my skin.

      Delete
  2. These are great tips! I like it that you were honest about not being totally acne-free yet. I do have some tip to add though, try using a soap-free facial cleanser like Cethapil, Physiogel and Himalaya Herbals. When I was suffering from severe acne, that was one of the first thing my dermatologist recommended to use to wash my face :)

    STYLE VANITY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the tip, my skin is acting up badly, so I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. I would do most things for clear skin, but not milk. It's the only thing I really enjoy drinking... uhuh. I do use the tooth paste trick too, I am glad to hear that it isn't just me that goes to bed with a minty face.

    Em x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the giving up milk step is definitely the hardest thing. I miss it a lot!

      Delete
  4. Almond milk is really nice! It tastes better than you'd think it would.

    www.simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been on a similar quest since last April and after having problem skin my whole life, I finally feel like I've hit my groove. My skin is clear and actually has that glowy look to it naturally! I've also gotten rid of most of my redness.

    What type of skin do you have? As for a reasonably priced cleanser, I would recommend checking out Paula's Choice. You have to order it online but it's worked really well for me.

    Good luck!

    xx Kathryn
    http://www.throughthethicket.ca

    ReplyDelete